In the field of fundamental research:
• Fundamental problems of mutagenesis, genetic instability, programmed cell death (apoptosis), carcinogenesis, genetic polymorphism, intercellular signaling, regulation of gene expression for the first time in Kazakhstan began to be studied at the Institute.
• The Institute has a priority in the field of studying the long-term effects of radiation on the human genome and assessing the degree of genetic risk for future generations. The influence of radiation and other mutagenic environmental factors on the genome of humans and animals from ecologically unfavorable regions of the Republic of Kazakhstan, as well as as a result of occupational harm, is studied.
• Collected genetic banks representing: a) patients with cardiovascular, oncological diseases, and the corresponding population of healthy people (about 5000 people in total); b) material representing different age groups of residents of Almaty region and Almaty city with or without age-related diseases (about 1000 people).
• Identified genetic markers of predisposition to the development of age-related pathologies in Kazakhstani populations.
• Diagnostic panels have been developed to determine the predisposition (genetic health passport) to the development of esophageal cancer, cervical cancer, colorectal cancer, cardiovascular diseases and glaucoma, testing is carried out under contracts with medical centers.
• A technology has been developed for early diagnosis and targeted therapy of breast and prostate cancer based on the specific detection of activated receptors of cancer cells by plant lectins. US patent received.
• Screening of known genetic markers associated with familial inherited syndromes with clinical manifestations of epilepsy was performed. On the basis of an agreement with SVS, the Clinic for the Study of Epilepsy, Convulsive Conditions and Family Monitoring named after V.M. Savinov conducted training courses for clinicians to familiarize themselves with hereditary syndromes and methodological approaches to analysis. Within the framework of the agreement, molecular genetic analyzes of volunteer patients are carried out during 2015-2016.
• Since 2015, together with the Republican State Enterprise on the REM "Almaty Oncological Center" of the Almaty City Healthcare Department and the "KazNII of Oncology and Radiology" of the Ministry of Health of the Republic of Kazakhstan, on a contractual basis, a genetic counseling room was opened, where we conduct molecular genetic diagnostics of sporadic and hereditary forms of the most common types of cancer (breast cancer, lung cancer, cervical cancer, RP, CRC). Genetic counseling is also carried out by our specialists. To increase the efficiency of molecular genetic testing, in addition to our panels of markers, we selected and worked out protocols for the analysis of candidate genes that have a high predictive information value and pharmacogenetic value for chemotherapy prescribed to cancer patients.
• Based on the study of the methylation pattern of gene promoters involved in the development of sporadic and hereditary variants of colorectal cancer, a highly sensitive diagnostic test system is being developed.
• Pilot studies were carried out among students of the Olympic Reserve School ("Republican Specialized Boarding School - College of the Olympic Reserve named after Karken Akhmetov") and a number of fitness centers in Almaty, and an athlete's genetic passport was developed, which can provide information about sports opportunities and risks.
• The role of nitric oxide and apoptotic genes in life expectancy and aging in a model organism, Drosophila melanogaster, has been determined.
• Testing of pharmaceutical, agricultural, food and perfumery drugs and biological products for mutagenic, carcinogenic, embryogenic and teratogenic effects is carried out, as well as testing of the antiviral activity of drugs. Testing is carried out on various model systems widely used in world practice to analyze the effect of drugs on genetic changes.
• Research is underway on the systemic study of the traits and conservation of biodiversity of forest cultures in Kazakhstan.
• A collection of fast-growing woody forms has been created. The technological schemes of clonal micropropagation of conifers, woody and forest cultures have been improved.
• For each tree species, the types of molecular genetic markers that are most suitable for typing valuable genotypes have been established. The laying of genetically identified clones was carried out in open ground conditions in the northern and southern regions of the Republic of Kazakhstan.
• Research is being conducted on the biology of productivity of farm animals, aimed at radical improvement of genetic selection work.
• Studied the genetic principles of formation of the color of karakul sheep, created a computer program for instrumental assessment of the suit.
• Methods of molecular genetic identification of agricultural animal breeds have been developed.